"Then the last decades in Berlin." (Herman Grimm)
After a three-year intermezzo in Kassel as exiles and without positions, in1840 the new Prussian King Friedrich Wilhelm called the brothers to Berlin as members to the "Academy of Humanities" with a special salary. They lived for five years in Lennéstrasse 8 with a panorama view on the Zoological Gardens. After a short residence in Dorotheenstrasse 47, they moved to Linkstrasse 7 in 1807, into a new building, likewise located on the edge of the Zoological Gardens in which the brothers undertook daily strolls. Today the property, which like other residential dwellings were turned to rubble and ashes in the Second World War, would be standing in the immediate vicinity of the Potsdamer Platz. Since 1990 there is a commemorative plaque at the Alte Potsdamer Strasse 5 house, across the street from the original Grimm domicile.
The path to the Humboldt University, their new place of work, led over the Unter den Linden boulevard. Among the greatest treasures of the University Library is the private library of the brothers, comprising more than 5,500 volumes. The new central library opened in 2009, bearing the name "Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm Centre". The archive of the Royal Prussian Academy of Humanities and the secret State Record Office moreover preserve numerous document sources such as letters and notes on the German Dictionary. Since 1961, the Land Berlin offers the "Brothers Grimm Prize". It is endowed with 10,000 euros and serves to promote German-speaking children and youth theatre.
At the old St. Matthew graveyard in Schöneberg in Berlin, the two famous researchers and collectors have found their final resting place.