"In Kassel they gained the position of librarian at the Hessian State library..." (Herman Grimm)
The Brothers Grimm in Kassel
Between 1798 and 1841 the Grim brothers spent thirty years in Kassel, where they had already attended the Lyceum Fridericianum in their youth. Here they worked as librarians, here they collected, documented and revised about 200 fairy tales and legends.
In 1805 their mother, a native of Kassel, was already drawn back to her old homeland along with her younger children. The home of the family, to which Jacob and Wilhelm also moved after their Marburg study years, was in the middle of the old town, in the Wildemanngasse 24 / corner of the Marktgasse. The house, as well as practically the entire old town, was destroyed during a bombing night in 1943. A commemorative plaque remembers the activity of the "Germanist Brothers" as well as the "painter" Ludwig Emil Grimm.
In 1814, the Grimm brothers and their sister Charlotte took up quarters in second floor of the Northerly Gate Watch erected by Heinrich Christoph Wussow at the head of the Wilhelmshöher Allee, the axis which connects the town with the Wilhelmshöhe castle. In front of the building, today part of the Hessian Administrative Court, stands the Brothers Grimm monument since 1985, created by the sculptress Erika Maria Wiegand.
In 1822 the brothers moved a few houses further, into the Schöne Aussicht, very near the "Palais Bellevue" which accommodates the Brothers Grimm Museum since 1972. In this splendid late Baroque building, punctual for the jubilee and in a newly designed permanent exhibition, the life, works and impact of Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm are presented; the accomplishments of their younger painter brother Ludwig Emil Grimm are also given a great deal of space.
The Hessian State Library, "in whose quiet and broad halls they had been as good as lords for many years" (Hermann Grimm), was located at that time in the Fridericianum, the first public museum on the continent. Now located in the Murhardschen library, it watches over the manuscripts of the "Children's and Household Tales", which were admitted into the World Document Heritage of UNESCO in the summer of 2005.
Kassel University, which for many years has offered a Grimm visiting professorship, has recently been an endowed with a Junior Professorship for "Works and Activities of the Brothers Grimm" in the Department of Language and Literary Humanities. This is yet another sign of the connectedness with the famous brothers.
Traces of the Brothers Grimm in Kassel
• Brothers Grimm Monument at the Brothers Grimm Plaza
• Gate Watch at the Brothers Grimm Plaza: former dwelling house (can be viewed only from the outside)
• Ottonuem (today Natural History Museum): Here Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm received private lessons
• Schöne Aussicht No. 7 : former dwelling house (façade)
• Residential dwellings of Dorothea Viehmann in the Märchenweg in Kassel-Niederzwehren
Guided tours and offerings
• Brothers Grimm Museum in the Palais Bellevue, Schöne Aussicht 2, 34117 Kassel, Tel. 0561 103235, www.grimms.de
Newly designed permanent exhibition on the life, works and impact of the brothers Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm; the accomplishments of their younger "painter brother" Ludwig Emil Grimm is also given extensive space. Numerous previously unknown and in recent years newly acquired exhibits are presented for the first time in the exhibition. The manuscripts of the Grimm fairy tales (UNESCO World Inheritance) are also to be seen again in the Palais Bellevue in special showcases. The Palais Bellevue is one of the few preserved buildings from the 18th century in Kassel
Admission 3 €, reduced 1.50 €
Town guided tour "In the footsteps of the Brothers Grimm"
- for groups up to 25 persons, duration 2 hours, 85 € plus admission to the Brothers Grimm Museum
- Additional module: Grimm cake with coffee or tea: 6 € per person
Town guided tour "Kassel – Art – Culture"
- for groups up to 25 persons, duration 2 hours, 85 €
- As a public guided tour every Friday at 16 o'clock, 7 € per person, reduced 5 €
Group lump sum offer "A fairy tale tour"
- 2 overnight stays with breakfast
- 1 fairytale menu
- 1 evening meal
- 1 guided tour "In the footsteps of the Brothers Grimm"
- 1 full-day accompanied fairytale tour
- Greeting by a fairytale character
- Fairytale narrator
- From 20 participants with own bus from 141 € pro person in a DR
Jubilee events and travel offerings
You will find information on the jubilee events in an Event calendar of the topic year Grimm2013
Also worth knowing about the Brothers Grimm in Kassel
Brüder Grimm Gesellschaft e.V
Brothers Grimm Plaza 4
Heimatverein Dorothea Viehmann e.V.
Frankfurter Strasse 300
University of Kassel
Foundation Professorship Brothers Grimm
(currently being set up)